Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Tuesdays Trigger Point Release

I'm back home for Paddys, so trained in the gym here Tuesday. I did a lot of shoulder rehab work, specifically scap work; and followed it up with a little squatting. I only managed to work up to 5*90kg for 3 sets, which I wasn't overly happy with, but you have to put up with the bad days.

I also spent a little time trying to teach my bro how to squat. He's 14, so I figured he would have an good base to start from. I was wrong! He spends quite a lot of time sitting playing xbox, slumped in the chair, and this has badly effected his back and hip mobility. I have him working him on few things though, so hopefully I can get him squatting the bar in a few weeks.

Tuesday evening I had a little trigger point release done on my back and shoulder. My friend's sister, Aoibheann, has just opened her own place in town, and I had got a little work done with her before, so I arranged to call in at 5. Before starting she got me to try the IYWT test against the wall. For I and Y my ribs poke out quite a bit, because my shoulders aren't mobile enough. For W I literally couldn't externally rotate fully to touch the wall, and for T I was fine.

The therapy involved both deep tissue massage and dry needling targeting my traps, lats, and lower back. Aoibheann believes a lot of my trouble is coming from tightness in the lats, again in the levator scap, and from some issues with thoracic spine mobility. Afterwords I tried the IYWT test again, and you could see a marked improvement.

Aoibheann has suggested I call in each Friday I'm home to speed up my progress. I won't be about this week, since there's a squad session Saturday, but I intend on going again Friday week. I'm sure it'll be worth while. Feel free to check out Aoibheann's website.

I'll be training again Thursday with the club.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Shane,

    My name is Sean O'Grady and I am from Ballybay. I am currently undertaking my journalism thesis at Dublin City University. I plan on doing a five part profile series on people within County Monaghan, who have won an award in sports, arts & culture, youth, etc., at a national or international level

    I'm willing to offer a €50 dinner voucher or money towards sports gear as I'm struggling time wise to get this project done because of my work for a newspaper in Dundalk. I can be contacted at 0857751723 or sean.ogrady3@mail.dcu.ie

    ReplyDelete