Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Wednesday's Return to Hercs

Got to train in Hercs today, which was great. I used to be a member there last year, and got in quite regularly, so it was good to be back.

There was some old and new lifters. Wayne Healy was most noteable, as I'd never seen him lift before. Wayne's competition PBs are 112/137.5kg from back in 1999 as a 62kg lifter. He also lifted 115/140kg as a 69kg lifter the same year. He's ridiculously fast under the bar, and is still lifting close to his best. He made, what looked like a very comfortable 100kg snatch today. It was great seeing Wayne lift, as his physique, and weight are very similar to my own. I figure I could learn a lot from him.

I got far more done today than I have in months of training. Having Harry there pushing me to do extra, and being around other lifters really spurred me on. Harry decided what I would do. He knows I'm weakest in the overhead part of the lifts, so that's what I mainly focused on. I didn't get any of my shoulder rehab work done, but here's what I did after some bar work-

Snatch- 2*30kg, 2*35kg, 2*40kg, 6*2*45kg
For these Harry got me to slow down in the first pull, and extend a little quicker in the second pull. Before this I was speeding through the whole thing, causing the bar to swing out in front. It was far more sets than usual, but I need to do this to improve.

Jerk- 2*40kg, 2*45kg, 2*50kg, 4*2*55kg
Here Harry got me to focus on relaxing the back leg a little more. I was basically straightening it, which was causing me to lose the bar out front. I also had to work on getting the front foot out more, and increasing the width of my stance. As it was, it was quite narrow, which made balancing with the weight overhead difficult.

Front Squat- 3*60kg, 3*70kg, 3*80kg, 3*3*90kg

So there you go. That's the best session I've had in months! Doesn't say much for my training. I intend on rejoining Hercs now in semester 2, Harry says he's going to try getting in a few times a week, so hopefully it'll help me progress quicker. I probably won't be training tomorrow, as I've an exam the next day. I'll be training at home on Friday.

1 comment:

  1. Shane. I have the same problem in the jerk. Ronnie whiteaway pointed this out to me last year- the back leg straightening out. That's a good comment by Harry -- relax the back leg. I must try that this weekend when I go for the Pete challenge week 3

    ReplyDelete